April 25, 2011

"trunk to the blow": a poem-dress

by Jessica Bozek

These photos represent my literal take on the relationship between writing and fashion. I sew because I need a tangible craft; because preparing fabric, cutting out pattern pieces, stitching, pressing, and ripping out seams that go awry is a process that I'm not making up as I go along; because it takes more time to construct a placket than it does to write a poem and that makes me feel purposeful, somehow; because I can wear my mistakes or use them as rags. Figuring out how to draw with a sewing machine and how to type on fabric were two ways that I was able to make this dress a bit more amusing in the absence of elaborate construction know-how.








Bio: Jessica Bozek is the author of The Bodyfeel Lexicon (Switchback Books) and several chapbooks, including Squint into the Sun (Dancing Girl). Recent poems appear in 751, Action, Yes, Artifice, Black Warrior Review, Guernica, horse less review, and Sixth Finch. Jessica runs Small Animal Project (smallanimalproject.com), a reading series based in Cambridge, MA, where she lives, sews, bakes muffins, and walks a brown dog.

No comments: